Building Approvals and Services


Post PO Box 7, KONDININ WA 6367
In Person Kondinin Office – 11 Gordon Street, or Hyden Office - 12 McPherson Street


The Shire of Kondinin utilises the services of Hayley Fegan for building matters. Enquiries and appointments can be directed to the Shire of Kondinin on 08 9889 1006 or directly to Hayley on Ph: 0438 740678 or Email:

Building Commission Western Australia

Western Australia now has new legislation in relation to building laws. To find out more and for a complete list of all available Building Forms, please refer to the Department of Commerce website then go to the Building Commission Tab.

New Building Act

The commencement of the Building Act 2011 on 2 April 2012 introduced a new building approval process for Western Australia. The Building Act and the Building Regulations 2012 replace the Building Regulations 1989 and much of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960, and amends a range of associated acts.

A Building Permit is needed for most types of construction in the Shire. This includes:

  • New houses, alterations and additions;
  • Sheds/gazebo's/outbuildings 
  • Garages and Carports 
  • Patios
  • Swimming Pools / Spa's
  • Farm sheds
  • Industrial and Commercial Buildings ( which may require prior Planning Approval)

To apply for a Building Permit an application form must be completed and submitted with scaled plans (normally certified by a structural engineer in the case of larger structures), written specifications and the appropriate fees to Council's Building Surveyor for consideration.

An Energy Efficiency Certification for Climate zone 4 will be required for new dwellings, major additions and some other types of building work. Please check with Council’s Building Surveyor if unsure.

Where a new septic system is proposed or changes are required to the existing system a Septic Tank Application is required contact Council's Environmental Health Officer.

If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit can only be issued to a registered builder or in some circumstances an owner builder. Please refer to the Building Commission website for additional information.

How do I get a building permit?

The commencement of the Building Act 2011 on 2 April 2012 introduced significant changes and options to the way in which you can obtain a Building Permit from a Permit Authority.

One of the more significant changes of the Act is that you will now be required to obtain a "Certificate of Design Compliance" from a Registered Building Surveyor before you can obtain a Building Permit. A Registered Building Surveyor can be a person who works for a Permit Authority, (such as Local Government) or who is privately employed.

The building fees payable to the Shire listed below in the attachment or you can contact Hayley, Building Surveyor.

Can I be an Owner-Builder?

Anyone who carries out 'builder' work valued over $20,000 must be a registered builder or an approved owner-builder before applying for a building permit from the local government.

Under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011, owner-builders are required to obtain approval from the Building Services Board, administered by the Building Commission, before obtaining a building permit to carry out owner-builder work on their land.

 Applicants are required to provide evidence of their ownership of the land and demonstrate that they have sufficient knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an owner-builder.

Further information can be obtained from

For more information please contact us.