Environmental Health Services

Play It Food Safe



Mosquito Information



Environmental Health encompasses the assessment and control of environmental factors that can potentially affect human health. Our services aim to provide assistance and information on a wide range of services directed at the maintenance, promotion and improvement of public and environmental health.  

The Shire of Kondinin belongs to the Roe Regional Organisation of Councils. An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) is shared between Councils in the group. The EHO is based in Corrigin and travels to each Shire as required or for pre-booked appointments, meetings or inspections.

Council’s EHO inspects all unlicensed public accommodation facilities such as motels, hostels and caravan parks, within the Shire to check that health and safety standards comply and guests enjoy a clean and safe stay.

Accommodation that houses more than six unrelated people must be registered by the Shire as a Lodging House. If you are the keeper of an unregistered lodging house or wish to open a lodging house, please contact the Shire for application forms and a copy of the applicable Health Local Law.

The shared EHO for the Shire of Kondinin is Brendon Gerrard, who can be contacted at the Shire on Thursdays or by mobile: 0409 770 824, e-mail: roeeho@corrigin.wa.gov.au

If you would like to make a complaint or submit an application, please contact the Kondinin Shire office on (08) 9889 1006 or send your document with attention EHO to the Shire at PO Box 7, Kondinin WA 6367.

Council's Environmental Health Officer is responsible for and able to assist with the following: 

Noise Control

Both Council and the Police have responsibility for noise control in the shire.

Noise nuisances come in many forms including:

  • Vehicles
  • Music
  • Parties
  • Construction/power tools
  • Animals (roosters, dogs etc)

There are legal provisions which limit noise levels and times allowed. Complaints can be made about annoying noise to Council's Environmental Officer during business hours. For after hours immediate action the police can be contacted to request action.

Enforcment of the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997.  This is to protect the residents of the Shire from the stress and irritation caused by unreasonable noise from parties, music, construction, specialised equipment and other sources. The Shire encourages residents to communicate their concerns to neighbours or workers responsible for creating unreasonable noise in their neighbourhood, however if you would like to make a confidential noise complaint, you can call or visit the Shire office.

Pollution Control

Council's Environmental Health Officer deals for local issues relating to environment protection. This is the contact point for dealing with air, water, and ground pollution issues as well as noise (see Noise Control). This includes illegal dumping, asbestos disposal, smoke emissions, and the like issues. If however, a concern relates to spills requiring immediate containment and clean up such as road accidents, the Fire & Rescue Service should be connected first.

Food Protection

Council's Environmental Health Officer is responsible for the shire’s food surveillance/protection activities.

All food businesses are now required to be registered (a fee may be applicable) and comply with a national set of standards. More information on this area may be obtained by going to www.foodstandards.gov.au and www.public.health.wa.gov.au

Regular inspections of the entire Shire's food shops are carried out on a periodic basis.

Complaints about the quality of food purchased or consumed in the Shire can be made to the Environmental Health Officer.

Water Sampling

The surveillance of the Shire's non-scheme water supply is carried out by the Environmental Health Officer.

This includes the testing of the water quality of the public pool, treated effluent re-use, and domestic rainwater. Tests can be carried out on request and may be subject to a cost depending on the number and complexity of tests required.

Infectious Disease Control

Communicable diseases are investigated at a local level by the Shire's Environmental Health Officer.

This is instigated by a doctor/s referral to the Health Department of WA once an infectious disease has been identified. This information is then referred onto Council's Environmental Officer to follow up on to find out through an interview process how the disease was caught if possible to prevent a wider spread and discover its cause. Further information on this subject can be found at www.public.health.wa.gov.au

Food Safety

Assessment of registered food premises within the Shire for compliance with the Food Act 2008 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. Activities such as food sampling, bacterial swabbing and educational seminars may also occur as required to ensure food businesses are doing their best to provide safe food to the public. If you would like to open a food business within the Shire, it is a requirement of the Food Act 2008 that you notify the Shire and are registered. To notify please contact or visit the Shire office.

The Shire of Kondinin supports the safe handling of food. All food handlers are encouraged to participate in a free interactive online food safety training provided by the Environmental Health Australia.

Food businesses can now have their employees undertake the FoodSafe Online course free of charge from the website https://www.ehawa.org.au/products/foodsafe-products/foodsafe-online .

On the payment details page, use the unique discount voucher “FSKONDI328” and it will apply a $35 discount. Your employees will need to complete the transaction and follow the downloadable instructions to register and start the course.  A printable certificate is available once they have successfully completed the course.

You are welcome to use this FoodSafe Online promotional video link to provide residents with a preview of the course - https://youtu.be/NyfaUxexKNE

Onsite Effluent Disposal

Assessment and approval of Applications to Construct or Install an Apparatus for the Treatment of Sewage for residents that are not connected to the town’s sewerage system. A permit to use the installed system is also required before use can occur. If you would like your newly installed apparatus inspected and approved for use, please contact the Shire or EHO directly to arrange a site visit.

Download the Septic Tank Application form below



Council’s EHO inspects all unlicensed public accommodation facilities such as motels, hostels and caravan parks, within the Shire to check that health and safety standards comply and guests enjoy a clean and safe stay.

Accommodation that houses more than six unrelated people must be registered by the Shire as a Lodging House. If you are the keeper of an unregistered lodging house or wish to open a lodging house, please contact the Shire for application forms and a copy of the applicable Health Local Law.

Applications for temporary accommodation of movable dwellings (such as caravans) on private land or any land outside the Caravan Park (with the exception of the RV Friendly Area arrangements) can be applied for at the Kondinin Shire.

Nuisances, Pests, Asbestos Containing Materials, Unauthorised Discharges

Investigate any observed or reported nuisances within the community that may affect the health of residents or visitors to the Shire. Dust, pests such as rodents, feral cats, mosquitoes, damaged or broken asbestos containing materials and unauthorised discharges which may contain chemicals or hydrocarbons, effluent or wastewater could cause health problems in the community.Please report any nuisance, health hazard or unauthorised discharge to the Shire for investigation.

Skin Penetration, Beauty Therapy, and Hairdressing Premises

Assessment of all skin penetration and hairdressing premises to ensure that all procedures are carried out in a hygienic manner which will prevent the transmission of infection and disease. If you would like to start a business that performs skin penetration procedures or a hair dressing salon, please contact the Shire to make an appointment with the EHO.

Recreational and Drinking Water Quality

Taking water samples of public swimming pool waters and any non-scheme potable water from sources which are intended for public use and consumption. This monitoring ensures that the water residents and visitors of the Shire swim in and consume is safe and free of harmful bacteria and other pathogens.

Public Building Safety

Assessment of all public buildings within the Shire for compliance with the Health (Public Buildings) Regulations 1992 where applicable. The purpose of this is to ensure that places where people gather have the appropriate fire safety equipment, safe egress paths, adequate ablutions and can have enough room to accommodate members of the public. Public Buildings include pubs, clubs, halls, gymnasiums and even temporary events such as outdoor concerts and circuses. All public buildings, permanent or temporary, and any extensions and alterations are required to be approved by Council’s EHO.

Swimming Pool and Spa Safety Barrier Assessments

Assessment of private swimming pool and spa security barriers within the townsites of the Shire. The barriers are required to comply with Australian Standard 1926.1-1993. The purpose for having a compliant barrier is to prevent access of young children into the pool area and potential drowning. The Shire is required approve and keep a register of swimming pools and spas and inspect the barriers at least once every four years. If you have an unauthorised swimming pool or spa, would like to install one, or would like to arrange a security barrier inspection, please contact the Shire to arrange an appointment.

Further information regarding Pools an be found on the following link https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/building-commission/swimming-and-spa-pools   or check out the two attachments below:

For more information please contact us.